Wednesday, August 10, 2011

A School Policy

A school policy that I disagree with is saying the pledge of allegiance everyday. I understand that men have fought and died for the freedom we have today, but do we need to say it everyday? Surely the flag in every classroom, school, street, house, three on each building in downtown can remind us of that. We are not in the Joseph McCarthy days back in the 1950s where if you did not say it, you were considered a communist. Can we skip it every now and then?
One day in 6th grade, we were taking a test. Our teacher said to write our name, the date, and list the numbers 1 through 30 on paper before the pledge was announced on the loud speaker. I was labeling my paper, as to instructions, and was yelled at. Why? I forgot to say the pledge. She made me and everyone else learn on the proper ways to say the pledge and a history lesson about the proud heritage we should honour everyday. Because of this, I and a few others, could not finish their test. As a result, the teacher scolded us a second time. I found this to be truly unfair because of something we say everyday at school. How could we change this policy, and still honour those let our country be what it is today?
We could change this policy by saying it once a week instead of everyday. Some schools only say the pledge on the 11th of September, while others schools after middle school stopped bothering with it. On the contrary to my 6th grade teacher, and surprisingly to some of my other teachers, not saying it will not make you a terrorist. You can achieve national solidarity in other ways, not saying the pledge will not make unpatriotic.

No comments:

Post a Comment