Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Good Samaritan Experience

Being a good Samaritan does not necessarily mean assisting someone in need but it also could mean making someone feel welcomed and comforted, even just for the little things. One time when I was at church, I was sitting next to an old disabled woman. At the time, I did not have a good morning so i felt slightly cynical and not in my usual self. When the lady asked me to give her the songbook, I was quite confused on why she was being more thankful than most people. I just offered her the songbook like she asked me to and she said thank you with huge smile. Despite my bad mood, that did make my day better. Later on, after we held hands for praying the "Our Father" and saying "Peace be with you." with the people nearby, I gave her a huge smile, hoping to make her day better since mine wasn't going so well. She gave me a huge smile back and an unexpected hug. Then she whispered "Thank you. " to me. I was kind of astonished and I wondered what I did that made her so grateful. Then I thought about it. I would never know what was going on with her life but all I know is that I made her feel better and happier and that is all that matters . I could see how joyful she was when she left the church. And because of that, my mood became lighter and i was delighted that i cheered someone up with less than five words. The little things can make quite a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment