Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Good Samaritan


About to go through the security check at Lindbergh Field, a woman in front of my family and I, took off her jacket and dropped a $20 bill. I picked it up and after the security check, returned it to her. At first she looked confused but then she smiled and said, "A Good Samaritan? I thought they were a dying breed. But that's okay, you can keep it". As a seven year old, I thought that this was a very "awesome and lucky" day. But I did not know what to do with it. I asked my parents while on the plane and they said to give it to a charity or someone in need. At the time I did not know of any charities or someone that needed help. That was until I saw for one of the first times in my life, a person holding a sign that said something along the lines of "Hungry, please help and God bless" on a street corner. I thought, was this a person my parents were talking about? The man seemed sad as if his spirit was disconnected from the world. Without hope. On a impulsive feeling, I walked up to the man and handed him the money that the woman dropped in the airport. What was dark, emotionless eyes, lit up with a spark and tears started to fall from his eyes. He kept thanking me over and over to express his gratitude from what I did.
I was not sure how I felt afterward, but I could not feel what this man had felt. Even now, I still do not understand. But I felt a somewhat sense of accomplishment. And I what I do know then and now, is that not only did I help someone else in need, but I did the right thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment