Monday, September 12, 2011

September 9 Blackout

I didn't know the definite time when the power outage started since i was outside, practicing our field show with the band. When we entered the black box where the color guard practices, we thought that the sensor for the lights is just being weak as always. Later on, someone mentioned that there was a power outage so we couldn't see anything in the black box since it doesn't have any windows and the interiors are painted all black. When i went home, i noticed the traffic lights were not working too. I later on learned that the power outage was widespread and also affected Arizona and some areas in Mexico. My mom went somewhere to get flashlights and batteries and such but stores are closing and many people were panicking because they were in need of such things. I felt concerned for the people that are stuck in elevators and hospitals have limited electricity to keep machines running. I was a bit curious and scared too since I was unsure why there was a blackout. But I kept calm since I believed that I would know exactly what to do since I've been to this situation before many times. As the sky was getting darker, i thought of how important electricity is in a first-world country. I thought back when i was living in Philippines, when power outage happens often and people didn't panic but rather enjoyed their night without light. We knew exactly what to do when we don't have power. But it's different here. American lifestyle runs on electricity and we depended on it too much. That's why people were panicking because a power outage is not common for them. Some people like us don't even have emergency flashlights or radios. Some of them did not have food because stoves also ran in electricity. I remembered that when i was in Philippines, we had a small fire pit that we often use for cooking during a blackout. My house in Philippines had multiple back-ups in case of anything. And here in America, a lot of household don't seem to believe in sudden emergencies. The widespread blackout was only a wake up call for Americans to get ourselves prepared. I didn't even know why i was scared when people in the East Coast had an even worse situation than us. Despite the darkness, the sky was beautiful since there was no light pollution.

No comments:

Post a Comment