Wednesday, September 14, 2011

San Diego Blackout


During the blackout, it mostly consisted of my mother and father receiving endless calls and emails from people without power complaining, mild threats, and lots of other things that caused my parents phones to go off every second. My parents do work at SDG&E, and that's to be expected. My dad and I were at home at the time and needed to find somewhere cool for her, so we drove around so that she could place her head out of the window. Lots of stores had a car or two parked in front to prevent looters but many people were just meeting others and actually having a good time. It seemed everyone could socialize and have fun. After coming back home, it cooled down considerably. Some of our neighbors began to start a bonfire outside of their homes or barbecued on their grills. While my dad and I were inside with flashlights and candles around us, my mom kept calling worrying about us - per usual. I was then notified of how school was cancelled and was happy until I also learned I would not see my mother until the following morning. Our power, and neighbors around us, came back on around midnight. The sound of tv's could be heard and the stars vanished from street lights. I believe we are too dependent on electricity. Not only is it bad for us to get to know other people, but it is also harming our environment. However, this how my parents make their living;Having over 5k a week from each parent is very nice. I was very excited for the Oxygen powered car, another way we could help the environment, but the government realized they could not tax oxygen. As a result, they bought them all and destroyed them before they reached the market. Same with one's man invention of getting rid of the oil after the BP oil spill. Hopefully one day, we can finally realize that the United States alone uses 25% of earth's resources and take a step to saving our planet Earth. Electricity can be first small step to great things that can be accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment