Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Blackout Experience

I just got home from school wanting to charge my phone. After, I went to the freezer in the garage to try and look for food. The light would not turn on so I figured that the bulbs had burned out. Then I realized that the light in the freezer was not turning on either. "It's just a coincidence.", I thought to myself. Once I went back in the house I looked at my phone to see if it was at least half way charged but it was not. Then I finally realized it was not just a mere coincidence. My first thought was that someone was outside cutting electric wires or something close to that so I was frightened that my life was in danger. My cellphone started to ring and it was my mom. She informed me that the electricity in the hospital and my grandparents house was not working either. My brother began to panic, babbling about how zombies or some sort of apocalypse was soon to happen. There was not much to do. I could not do the usual things I do like watch TV, go on the computer, text since my phone had died the next 3 minutes, microwave food, talk to my best friends, or anything really. My mom ended up coming home from work complaining about how the road is crazy and dangerous. We packed our things to go to my grandparents house figuring that it would be a good chance to family bond. While we were on the road, I noticed a certain call that radio station had received. It was a man complaining about how people in the third-world countries live like this everyday of their lives while we can not even handle it for 3 hours less. His words echoed in my head and I began to feel guilty for taking all we have for granted. When we finally reached my grandparents house is was already dark at 5pm. We lit candles but they were not even bright enough to see each others faces. I ended up falling asleep from being too bored and hoping that once I wake up, everything would be back to normal. I was right. Once I woke up the TV was on the news, my grandma was making our favorite meal, and we had the chance to call our loved ones to see if they are fine. The blackout made me realize that we should be fortunate to what we have and not take it for granted. Many other people live like how we lived for those 8+ hours and they do not complain. It was truly a wake up call and a great experience to learn from.

No comments:

Post a Comment