Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Mind Changing Blackout

It was around 3:40 PM when I look down at my charging phone, that was no longer charging.  A moment before this I heard a subtle click, which led my eyes to the digital watch on the stove-- it was blank.  I was sure the power was out.  At the moment, I did not have a single care, I believed that it was only temporary-- specifically merely minutes.  As the night went on I started tallying how much we rely on electricity. Though in this day and age, I had to share what was happening to the contacts on my phone, strangers on Twitter and friends on Facebook.  As I started collecting more and more information from my mom-- who works for partners of SDG&E-- and people from social networks, I realized this was larger than what I imagined.  4:15 PM and I was worried for the food in my fridge and the juice in my phone.  Electricity is definitely un- thought of when there is an abundace, though when there is a lack of, electricity is more than appreciated.   Moreover, I was racing against the sunset to finish my homework(this was before that grand call from the school) and began to work outside on my patio alongside my brother and grandma while my parents were preparing dinner-- burgers.  I was completely infuriated with the blackout because my phone had died, and my connection with the world was lost-- another reason why we rely on electricity so much.  However, as the night went on, and the stars were shining brighter, so was my view of the situation.  In the midst of playing Scrabble with the family on the patio under the stars and among many candles (which had never been part of the daily routine), I started to enjoy every second of the night.  9:45 PM and I began to be jealous of the neighbors who were outside mingling and actually being neighborly-- a sight that is sadly strange to me.  My parents who were being very cautious didn't allow for me to join.  10:30 PM, already knowing that there was no school the next day, I did something I hadn't done since school started-- I read.  The more and more I think of the night, the more I crave for another blackout; it truly was mind changing and a wake up call without having something that has shaped into a need in our society-- electricity.

No comments:

Post a Comment