Tuesday, September 13, 2011

San Diego's Black Out

At around 3:40 on the afternoon of the 8th, there was a power outage in San Diego and parts of Arizona and Mexico. I was having a snack in the living room with my mom and grandma. We were watching some random show, and suddenly, the fan and the TV turned off. My brother came running downstairs, freaking out because if the power was out for a long time, he would miss the kick-off game. I thought it wasn't a big deal, so me and my brother went to the power box to try and turn the electricity on again. Our neighbor was in his garage and he saw us and told us that all over San Diego, the power was out. We went back into the house and I went to my room to take a well-deserved shower since it was pretty hot that day. My brother was instantly bored and decided to go to his friend's house, and my mom left to go to the care facility she works for/owns, leaving me and my grandma home alone. I finished my homework at around 5, just about the time my dad came home. It took him almost 2 hours to get from Coronado to our house. His laptop battery still had a few of hours, so he played Solitaire until the laptop was close to dying. It was about 7:30 when we started eating dinner, surrounded by candles and a few flashlights. At 8, my brother finally came home, eating his dinner as well. We had just bought him his favorite ice cream and it was melting, so he rushed to eat it, but we were all full and we ended up eating only a spoonful of ice cream. We talked about random topics, and finally went to sleep. I don't know how I fell asleep that night; I normally sleep with the fan on since my room got hot easily. However, with all the lights in San Diego off, the night sky looked beautiful. This all-night black out made me realize how much I depended on electricity. I had nothing to do that day: no TV, no Internet, nothing. We would be lost without technology and electricity. We need electricity to communicate, to travel, and to simply eat dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment