Monday, August 1, 2011

My Drum Major Baton :)

My first year of band I met Eric Castro, who inspired me to be drum major. To be one you need a drum major baton- see how that works? The Christmas that my parents got me the exact one I wanted! I was so super excited. I don't have a good picture of it but, this picture is the same shape and style.

My military baton is gold with black rope twisting down it. This seems fitting considering it is two of our school colors. The dome on the top is a shiny silver. My baton is slightly bigger and heavier then the rest because it is made for bigger marching bands. But our band is growing and it may be fitting by the time I am drum major.

Spinning a baton can be rather complicated at the beginning. Even sill, there is a lot to work on during parade season. The drum major is at the very front of the band. Everyone is looking to YOU. You have to be marching in time, on the right foot, not to far ahead of the band and the whole time you are spinning a ridiculous baton routine. On top of that, judges are watching you, taking notes and grading intricate details. They judge the band as a whole and the drum major alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment