Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Gone With the canyon-Monique Geisen

During the break I went on a breathtaking camping trip to the grand canyon for a week and a half. The grand canyon is an amazingly gorgeous place and a wonderful place to sit on a rock, stare off into the distance, and think about the world. However I found myself not so much thinking about the world as I found myself thinking about family. I realized that though modern technology has linked the world together it has put huge barriers in families. When my father comes home from work he immediately goes to the PS3, My brother and I spend almost all our time on the computers, and my sister is most likely found watching TV. My mother works in her at home office and spends much of her day there. The only time we truly sit down and talk to each other is at the dinner table and on weekend outings. Although my family does share a bond more then most modern day families, it is not the same as those families before the technology boom.
Over the break my family ten days in a forest with a tent, cooking meals over a camp fire together. No technology, no nothing that kept us from each other. And I learned things about my brother and sister that I should have already known, I played with my sister more on that ten day trip then I think I have in her entire life. We spent many nights sitting around a camp fire and talking or hiding in our tent from the rain laughing, together, as a family. On the long car ride home I spent alot of time staring out the window hoping that the connections that we'd made as a family on that trip, happily they haven't. I have continued to play with my brother and sister more then usual and I find my family and I talking more then ever. So I think that over the break I did not make as much of a personal growth as I did a familial growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment